Prof. (Dr.) Vikas Bhatia Journey in Service of Nation View Journey
- Prof. (Dr.) Vikas Bhatia is Executive Director at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Bibinagar, (near Hyderabad ), Telangana since May, 2020.
- Dr. Bhatia was Founder Dean of AIIMS, Bhubaneswar for nearly 07 years (2012-19) where he played significant role in establishing new Institute of National Importance under MoHFW, GOI. Fifty eight courses (such as MBBS, BSc & MSc (Nursing), MD/MS, MCH/DM, PDF, BSc (paramedical) were operationalized. He also served as Chief Vigilance Officer (2014-2020). As Editor-In-Chief, Indian Journal of Community and Family Medicine under aegis of MOHFW, GOI was started in April, 2015 to promote research particularly among INIs and other institutions in the country. Dr. Bhatia was appointed Chairman, 7th Central Pay Commission for Autonomous Institutes (Six New AIIMS) by MOHFW, GOI.
- Dr. Bhatia as Professor and Head, Dept. of Community Medicine and Family Medicine at AIIMS, Bhubaneswar (2012-20) also established the dept. which has 03 health centers, several clinics like MOHFW-GOI approved Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre, NCD, Immunization and others in AIIMS hospital. He was running multiple projects with support of UNICEF, ICMR, GOI and other funding agencies in Odisha with foot prints in 23 districts : strengthening Tribal health, Nutrition, Maternal health, Newborn care, System Strengthening. Establishing Advanced Resource Centre in Public Health Nutrition and Fellowship program are amongst the first in the medical schools in India.
- During mission to UNICEF as NPO / Health Officer-Incharge, Uttar Pradesh (2004-2007), facilitated capacity building, research, advocacy and policy influencing, developed partnerships with WHO, USAID, CARE, World Vision, NIPI, CDC and others. In partnership with Govt. of UP made efforts to reach out to 18 million population in 70 districts. Dr Bhatia made significant contribution in creating a statewide network of Health & Nutrition Resource Centers, new vaccine of Japanese Encephalitis, SNCU, NRC, Acceleration of Routine Immunization, polio eradication, introduction of Zinc as ORT, first NRC, coordinated Emergency flood response. Dr. Bhatia also served in PGIMER, Chandigarh, UCMS, Delhi, GMCH, Chandigarh.
- Dr. Bhatia did MBBS, MD in Community Medicine under Guidance of Dr Sushila Nayar (personal physician of Mahatma Gandhi & Health Minister of India (1952-55) from MGIMS, Sewagram, Maharashtra, PGD in Hospital & Health Management and is Fellow of IMSA, IPHA and IAPSM. He has published 140 articles in reputed journals, 50 funded Research projects, reports and documents, authored / technical resource material of 26 books and modules. He was invited at National and International Conferences such as Germany,Belgium, Scotland, Australia, France, Mauritius, Canada, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and is widely travelled around the world.
- Dr Bhatia has been awarded/ honored by various organizations such as: Appreciation certificate for innovation for exceptional performance during Poshan Maah-2018 WCD, GOI by Dr Vinod Paul, Niti Aayog, Bharat Jyoti Award (2017), Dr. K P Rao Memorial Oration by IAPSM at AIIMS New Delhi (2020), Appreciation certificate by UNICEF for tribal health (2020), Lifetime achievement award by International Association of Educators for World Peace, Appreciation by Niti Aayog on Diahhoea (IDCM 2019), Best Citizens of India Award (2017), Jury of the award for the research presentation at Global Public Health Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka (2015), ICD-10 by MoH&FW, GOI (2012), P2D Graduate Award by UNICEF, India (2004), Appreciation Certificate, Routine Immunization & Nutrition, UNICEF( 2006).
- He is member/ chairperson of various task force, committees and core groups, national and international professional bodies.